Some of my Favorite Local Organizations:
• SEEDS Community Resolution Center
• Northern California Land Trust
• Ecology Center
• The Cooperative Grocery
• Waterside Workshops
• East Bay Cohousing
• Insight Center for Community Economic Development
• Arizmendi Association of Cooperatives
• Network of Bay Area Worker Cooperatives (NoBAWC)
• Spiral Gardens
• People’s Grocery
• City Slickers Farms
• Village Harvest
• Berkeley Community Gardening Collaborative
• Neighborhood Vegetables
Resources on Cohousing and Intentional Communities:
• Cohousing Association (A national directory of cohousing, with detailed information and statistics about each community, and lots of great articles and links).
• Intentional Communities (A directory of ecovillages, cohousing, and other intentional communities throughout the U.S. and the world).
• Cohousing Partners (Cohousing development and consulting).
• North American Students of Cooperation (A good resource on student housing cooperatives).
• Federation of Egalitarian Communities (Network of North American egalitarian communities ranging in size from, small agricultural homesteads to village-like communities to urban group houses).
• Global Ecovillage Network (Includes a directory of ecovillages all over the world).
Resources on Food and Urban Agriculture:
• Local Harvest (Directory of food cooperatives, CSAs, community farms, and much more.)
• Food Routes (Resource on buying local food)
• Coop Directory Service (Directory of grocery co-ops and buying clubs, plus other helpful info about starting a buying club).
• The Power of Community (A wonderful documentary about urban gardening and cooperation in Cuba).
• American Community Gardening Association (National directory of community gardens and resources on starting community gardens)
• Guerilla Gardening
• Revive the Victory Garden
Resources on Cooperatives:
• A Legal Sourcebook For California Cooperatives: Start-up & Administration, by Van P. Baldwin (Complete book available online).
• In Good Company: A Guide to Cooperative Employee Ownership, published by Northcountry Cooperative Foundation, available online
• Grassroots Economic Organizing (Organization promoting an economy based on democratic participation, worker and community ownership, social and economic justice, and ecological sustainability).
• National Cooperative Business Association – www.ncba.coop (Develops and advances the interests of cooperative businesses)
• U.S. Federation of Worker Cooperatives (Advance worker owned, managed, and governed workplaces through cooperative education, advocacy and development).
• International Cooperative Alliance – www.ica.coop (Uniting, representing, and serving cooperatives worldwide).
• International Cooperative Alliance Group (Providing employee ownership, business development, and job retention services).
• Arizmendi Association of Cooperatives (Contains a helpful list of resources on cooperatives.)
• Green Worker Cooperatives (Bronx-based organization serving as an incubator for green worker co-ops)
• University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives (Contains many helpful resources on cooperatives).
• Bring Car Sharing to Your Community, by City CarShare (Entire handbook available).
• Carsharing.net (Contains a list of carsharing programs throughout North America and a library of information on carsharing).
• Carsharing.US Blog
Resources on Consensus Decision-making:
• On Conflict and Consensus: A Handbook on Formal Consensus Decisionmaking, by C.T. Butler and Amy Rothstein (This whole guidebook is available online).
• Seeds for Change (Resources on consensus decision-making).
• The GoodGuide (Provides information on the health, environmental, and social impacts of the products in your home).
• Oasis Design (Great resource on grey water systems.)
• Business Alliance for Local Living Economies